Monday, March 2, 2009

Hey Arjan He Likes It

For those of you who remember Life cereal's commercial about trying to get Mikey who doesn't like anything to try Life and he tried it and likes it, I had a similar experience with Arjan this weekend.

Arjan is a true Dutch man who loves his meat and potatoes. He grew up in a poor time here and didn't get a lot of meat and I say he has spent his entire life since then making up for it. His favorite foods involve pigs or cows. I, on the other hand, prefer chicken and fish followed by cow and pig. When I make chicken, Arjan will usually eat a little bit, even comment that it's good but the only chicken he'll really eat are the legs in a BBQ type sauce and a chicken on the spit from the oven. I'd guess he has it maybe 6x a year. To my surprise, Arjan spotted a recipe in the paper Friday he wanted to try Gevulde kipfilet met spinazie (Chicken breast fillet filled with spinach) and we did yesterday.

The recipe included oven roasted thyme & rosemary potatoes and called for ratatouille. Since Arjan doesn't like eggplant or zucchini, we made our own ratatouille and it turned out so tasty. It consisted of brown onions, red onions, shallots, garlic, tomato, green pepper, and mushrooms. Arjan cut up the vegetables and prepared the potatoes. He had never made potatoes in the oven before, it's not done here much with the electric oven costing more to run than the gas stove, and had a hard time understanding how they would cook with just a little olive oil on them.

I made everything else, presented Arjan with his warm plate of food and waited...yes, he liked it! I was so happy because it was so good and I get the left overs tonight as he only wanted to make 3 kipfilets, not being sure if he'd like it.

The picture doesn't do it justice but it's ok. Because we only made 3, there some extra egg and spinach so I cooked it up and added it, that's what is to the left. This was also before parsley was sprinkled on it.

I told Arjan the story of Hey Mikey He Likes It and he is laughing totally agreeing that's how he is about some foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers