Friday, February 27, 2009

Eng Weer

Today we are having what Arjan calls "eng" weather. What's so funny to me is the word sure sounds right for this cloud covered, drizzley day but the English translation is "scarey/creepy or narrow", neither of which make sense. For a more accurate word and some appropriate sentences regarding this weather, check out today's (Feb 27) Dutch Word of the Day miezeren (to drizzle). I got a few pictures that show what the day has been like.

I'll start with this man I first saw when I went out for my walk. I had to remember I wasn't in San Diego. What was he thinking? Most of the rest of us were in winter coats, it was only around 40F. It just looked so funny and I had to document it as I believe it's going to be the earliest I see someone walking around in shorts here.



Then on my way home from my trip to pick up the 3 free newspapers and get a few things at the grocery store, what did I see parked on the block before our place but "my" car, a further indication of the type of weather we've had today. I see it and a couple others that are the same color I had, this one is a 3 door, around but this is the first I've seen it parked. It made me miss my reliable great car a bit and think of all the good memories with it.


Finally, looking at Columbo you can see the drizzle. Columbo is our cat that loves to go out when it's wet, sometimes as it's raining even, and lap the water up from wherever he can. I tried to get a picture of him sitting on the little table on the balconey drinking away but as I opened the door he jumped down. His coat is so thick he doesn't feel it, especially on a day like today.


It's hard to believe that yesterday I had laundry out to dry, which they partially did, in the pleasanter windy day with intermittent sun.
I am feeling much better, really hanged low and around the house this week, which was so nice, but when I woke up today my head felt like it looked outside, not as bad as I experienced in San Diego but some sinus pressure that did nicely leave once I was up and about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers