Sunday, February 8, 2009

Scheveningen




Scheveningen is, besides being a difficult word to say that I have mastered:), the most popular Nederlands beach north in Den Haag. Since the fall I have had the great pleasure of going there once a month or more because it's where one of the shops I have to visit is located. The American Womens Club of Den Haag, which you'll be hearing more about, happens to be just a few tram stops away from the beach and it takes the same amount of strips, costs the same, to travel there so I can easily make a visit also on the days I go there.

After most of my prior days there it was rainy and cloudy, the past two times I have been there have been BEAUTIFUL. The last time the tide was the lowest I have ever seen. There are three stone paths that lead out to where the water was I didn't even know existed previously. I was so excited because I thought I would be able to do some tide pooling. That is definitely one of the activities I miss from San Diego. This time of year there aren't many people on the beach so it's really a lovely walk, cold but lovely. So, I went walking out on these stones wondering what I would find. There were two college age gals walking behind me and I figured I'd ask them. The one gal said her father had lived in the area his entire life and never mentioned being able to see any fish or sea creatures. She went on to tell me that she thinks there is more to be seen on the US side because the water there is cleaner. Of course I was surprised to hear that. Needless to say, all I saw were a ton of smaller shells on the beach and a bunch of sells stuck to rocks.

So, here are the first pictures of Scheveningen. (Still trying to figure out how to post pictures in the place I want them and looks like they're going to end up in there own post at least one more day.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers